Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal ailments, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Gustafson Morningstar Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and prevent additional erosion if some have already developed.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Vigorous brushing can weaken enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as dangerous as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt continued erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been affected. Call Gustafson Morningstar Dentistry today at 248-541-8770 to schedule an examination. Dr. Gustafson will give you advice on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.
Contact Gustafson Morningstar Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):